Who we are:
You may not have heard of us, but you’ll know our brands! A.S.
Watson is the world's largest international health and beauty retailer with
over 16,000 stores in 27 markets. Each year, over 5.3 billion customers and
members shop with our well-known retail brands, both online and offline,
including the likes of Superdrug, Kruidvat, Watson’s, Marionnaud, The Perfume
Shop, and many more.
As a Front-End Developer, your main responsibility is for the production, modification and maintenance of websites and web application’s user interfaces for the A.S. Watson Group, essentially working as part of an in house digital agency. This involves working closely with Designers, in using semantic mark-up language i.e. XHMTL/CSS, to turn their static Photoshop designs into working browser based web pages.
A typical day in this role includes:
- Updating, maintaining and improving A.S. Watson’s suite of WordPress Blogs
- Working with fellow Front-End developers and the Design & UX team to construct, modify, and update Webpages,
- WordPress sites and AB tests for the business units within A.S. Watson
- Producing custom WordPress plugins and solutions to demand
- Working closely with the Developers in our tech team (based in Milan) to implement their server-side code to develop complex, interactive and database driven webpages
- Providing accurate time estimates on work and contributing to documentation (instructional, pitch and technical specification)
- Discussing technical solutions with the Design & UX Manager and provide innovative new ideas to solutions
- Maintaining a high awareness of industry issues and trends, particularly regarding accessibility, usability, and emerging technologies, and keep team members informed as appropriate, with a view to incorporating these in future projects and staying ahead of the market
- Keeping up to date with developments and latest techniques in the digital design and technical world. Share and use this knowledge to keep developing the websites to keep us ahead of our competition.
- Training and keeping the Designers updated on HTML, CSS and in some cases Java Script.
This role would be a good fit for you if:
- You enjoy challenges and problem solving
- You’re passionate about emerging web technologies
- Have a positive approach and willingness to learn and adapt
- You’re a team player, able to take briefs and develop compelling customer content working collaboratively with colleagues
What you’ll need:
- Extensive experience with HTML, HTML5, CSS, CSS3 & SASS
- Excellent PHP and WordPress knowledge
- Ability to hand code WordPress themes and create plugins
- Experience integrating with server-side code to produce dynamic pages
- Experience working with version control systems such as BitBucket or GitHub
- Good understanding of Web Accessibility
- Experience building sites to at least an AA standard
- Some experience in AJAX techniques
- Knowledge of HTML email best practice
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive salary, benefits and bonus scheme
- Discounts for you and your family from some our much-loved retailers, including Superdrug and The Perfume Shop
- 25 days holiday with an option to buy More
- Interest free season ticket and personal loans
- Excellent refer-a-friend scheme with up to £2000 up for grabs!
- Free financial and mortgage advice from some of our partners
- A fantastic learning and development offering to explore
- Lots of opportunities to get involved in wellbeing initiatives to support your physical and mental health
- …plus much More!
Apply now to become part of more
By joining us, you will be part of More than just a health and beauty retail group. You’ll become part of an organisation which is well-recognised all over the world.Apply