Who we are:
You may not have heard of us, but you’ll know our brands!
A.S. Watson is the world's largest international health and beauty retailer
with over 16,400 stores in 29 markets. Each year, over 5.9 billion customers
and members shop with our well-known retail brands, both online and offline,
including the likes of Superdrug, Savers, Rossman, Kruidvat, Watson’s,
Marionnaud, The Perfume Shop, and many more.
We are looking for an Indirect Tax Manager (Europe) to join our advisory focused Group Tax team within A.S. Watson. This is a great role and opportunity for someone with a compliance background looking to move into more advisory, and for someone with a practice advisory background looking to gain more operational and implementation experience. The successful candidate will assist the Head of Indirect Tax (Europe), the Group Tax Director (Europe) and our Retail Business Units (“BU”) with a diverse portfolio of advisory, VAT compliance process improvement, automation and risk management matters in connection with VAT and other indirect taxes. This is an exciting, challenging and diverse role for an enthusiastic, experienced and proactive VAT professional who has a keen interest and is able to quickly become a trusted and valued business partner initially in the UK. In this role you will have the opportunity of making a significant, lasting contribution as we transform our Operating Model and embrace tax technology solutions across the Group globally.
What you will be doing in the role:
- Facilitate VAT compliance, manage projects, and to support and advise A.S. Watson Group as well as our UK and other European BUs in connection with relevant indirect taxation issues, predominantly VAT.
- Partner closely with Superdrug and Savers in the UK, leading and developing the BU’s Assistant VAT Manager on all matters including progressing strategic indirect tax projects, developing the Tax Control Framework, supporting the rollout of Alteryx (for tax), managing the large and diverse product file and reviewing UK and ROI VAT returns to ensure full compliance.
- Provide expertise and manage specific VAT compliance matters, where required e.g. International eCom/Marketplace, BRSA, Supply Chain restructuring, VAT liability of food/drinks, healthcare and partial exemption calculations, digital reporting requirements (MTD, and equivalent).
- Improve core processes, to automate where possible, and to assist in the development and establishment of robust and localised Tax Control Frameworks in European BUs.
- Reporting to the Head of Indirect Tax (Europe), you will also work closely with the Group Tax team (a small team comprised of indirect & direct tax specialists and a tax technologist) and collaborate on relevant Group projects with the wider Group Tax team within CK Hutchison.
- Given the global trend of the digitisation of tax compliance and real-time reporting, we will support and develop your technology skills such that you can l work with the relevant teams to digitally transform the BUs’ core tax data, providing analysis and insight through the use of Tax Technology and software and enhancement of the Group’s ERP system, as part of the Oracle Fusion upgrade program.
- Help develop and support in the rollout and transition to the target digital Tax Operating Model across the Group.
provide advice and assistance with tax authority audits, inspections and appeals.
- Develop your skills in other indirect tax areas by advising the local BU teams on other indirect tax matters e.g. customs classification and valuations, DSTs and ‘environmental’ taxes.
- Forge positive business relationships with external advisors, and all internal stakeholders.
- This role will involve occasional travel within Europe.
What we will need from you:
- Degree holder with at least 5 years’ experience in UK VAT in-house, or in Big 4/mid-tier firm.
- Technically strong, with a professional VAT qualification.
- FMCG/retail experience desired but not essential.
- Fluent in English, great communicator.
- Experience in tax control frameworks, interest in tax technology.
- Team player and self-starter, great at business partnering.
- Excellent project management and execution skills.
- Proficient IT skills.
What you’ll get from us:
- Competitive salary, benefits and bonus scheme.
- Discounts for you and your family from some our much-loved retailers, including Superdrug and The Perfume Shop.
- 25 days holiday with an option to buy More.
- Interest free season ticket and personal loans.
- Excellent refer-a-friend scheme with up to £2000 up for grabs!
- Free financial and mortgage advice from some of our partners.
- A fantastic learning and development offering to explore.
- Lots of opportunities to get involved in wellbeing initiatives to support your physical and mental health.
- …plus much More!
Apply now to become part of more
By joining us, you will be part of More than just a health and beauty retail group. You’ll become part of an organisation which is well-recognised all over the world.Apply